MSMS is fighting for Michigan’s Right2Care!
Michigan patients have a right to high quality health care from a physician of their choice. Michigan physicians have a right and a responsibility to deliver high quality care to their patients. These rights are at risk because of a bureaucratic nightmare known as “Maintenance of Certification,” and new policies by some health insurance companies could cut off patients’ access to the physicians they know and trust.
Here’s the problem: After obtaining certification, various boards developed arbitrary and costly hoops through which physicians must jump to keep their certification. For example, the American Board of Internal Medicine devised a way to make huge profits through duplicative and unnecessary Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
MSMS is leading an initiative, Right2Care, that has introduced SBs 608, 609 and HBs 5090, 5091 which will protect and defend:
- A patient’s right to the health care and support they need from the physician they choose.
- A physician’s right to provide quality care to patients without costly, troublesome “pay to play” requirements.
- And a state’s right to create a health care system that works for everyone.
It’s time to fight for Michigan’s Right2Care!
TAKE ACTION and learn more at http://right2care.org.
Childhood immunization waiver rates drop after successful reform
MSMS worked with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the Michigan Joint Committee on Administrative Rules to implement new childhood immunization guidelines. The new rule, which took effect January 1, 2015, states any parent wishing to get a vaccination exemption for their child will now be required to visit their local health department. As a result of this Rules change, waiver rates plummeted by more than 39 percent statewide in 2015.
Other advocacy/legislative activity
- HR 2 signed into law. The “Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA)” took an important step to bring stability to the Medicare program by eliminating the SGR formula.
- MSMS-led Expedited Partner Therapy legislation
became law, authorizing EPT for treatment of sexually transmitted infections, allowing physicians to prescribe infected individuals and their partners.
- In 2014, MSMS filed a FOIA to track the status of the Medicaid primary care uplifts, which released millions of dollars to primary care physicians.
- At MSMS’s, BCBSM now includes all specialties in PGIP.
- MSMS medical malpractice legislation in 2012 returned the tort standard to the legislative intent of 1993, making Michigan a top state to practice.
- MSMS constantly fights for legislation to reduce the administrative burdens on private practice such as a universal prior-authorization process, limits to retroactive audits by payers, and the creation of a single drug formulary.
MSMS Subsidiaries & Partners
MSMS Practice Solutions launches MSMS Medical Opportunities and MSMS Glove Program
Through MSMS Practice Solutions
, your state medical society launched MSMS Medical Opportunities
, a dynamic new resource which connects healthcare providers with professionals in search of new jobs. This program acts as a one-stop shop for both physicians looking for a job and healthcare providers searching for strong candidates. Search for a new opportunity by visiting http://msms.medopps.org
To reduce our members’ costs, MSMS launched a glove program
, bringing the best brand-name, nationally known products at special member prices. With free shipping, MSMS members may visit http://msmsgloves.com
or call 877/484-6179 for personal assistance.
Learn about our latest partners and how you can add revenue and save money by visiting http://msms.org/PracticeSolutions
MSMS PIA now offers affordable comprehensive international health insurance via GeoBlue
The MSMS Physicians Insurance Agency
has recently secured global health plans and services for leisure, study, mission, marine, and business travel on an individual basis. MSMS members who frequently travel internationally may find this coverage especially enticing.
Through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Blue Care Network and our new partner, GeoBlue, individuals traveling abroad will benefit from the most complete set of benefits and services in the industry, with a network that spans 180 countries.
Please call us toll-free 877/PIA-ASK-US (877/742-2758), or request a quote online at http://msmsinsurance.org